Saturday, January 19, 2008

28 weeks down, more backaches to go!

Job --
Since landing a go-to-work-everyday job, life has gotten a little more hectic again. All is going well with the job so far. I've been there a week and a half now. I'm starting to get a bit more acquainted with what I'm doing, his system for doing things and the direction he wants me to go in - which for now, will most likely concentrate on learning all the ins and outs of booking someone for speaking, whether it be in person, on the radio or otherwise. It's definitely a new challenge for me as this is all new territory. Getting there these past few snowy days has been interesting. As I was waiting for him to come down in his 4-wheel drive to pick me up at the bottom of the driveway, a fox went trotting by. I hear there are coyotes up there too. The dogs do a good job at keeping them at bay. Luckily, I'm not obligated to get there by a certain time or at all if the weather is bad. But...if no go, no moola.

Dr's Visit --
My initial glucose testing came on the first day of my new job. I had the odds stacked against me. I ended up staying an hour later than expected (until 2), hadn't eaten lunch yet and had 1/2 hour to grab something and get to my appt. I made the unfortunate choice of getting a McDs burger, fries and a tea. I wasn't told to avoid any foods/drinks before the test. Well, the tea did me in. My test came back elevated. So, instead of convincing them to let me retake the test, they sent me to a lab to do the extended 3-4 hour test. This one involved a pre-carb diet and fasting 12 hours prior. After a stick to the arms every hour to draw blood, I finally got the true results the next day - which were normal! Thank goodness! I did not want to have to deal with the idea of having gestational diabetes! Another small scare/concern, only to turn out to be A-OK. I am getting a little tired of all of these "tests".

Classes --
Wednesday evening was the start of another new experience - Prepared Childbirth Classes!! :) These are located at the hospital. We have a class of about 10 couples. Getting to the actual classroom is almost a workout in itself! We have a good instructor and already have homework - coming up with a birth plan. We have a couple of squeamish husbands who still find humor every time the word "vagina" is mentioned. I imagine they'll soon become desensitized to it fairly quickly.

In other news --
I've been gathering a game plan on a baby shower, so stay posted as details should soon be emerging!
Little Q has been quite active this month and not quite sure, but I think he's had a few bouts with the hiccups. Those tend to come at about 3am.

I should get some finished pics up of the painted nursery sometime this weekend. We still have a ways to go on getting all of the furniture ready to put back in.

No comments: